A logo is a graphic element that stands for the main features of a company, product or website. The main purpose of designing a logo is to create a shorthand for your brand. Your logo design should connect clients with your brand. That is the power of a brand logo. It will help sell your product.
There are no hard and fast rules for logo design. But there are some basic principles to design a memorable logo.
- Usable on All Media Platforms
- Easy to Memorize
- Highlight Your Brand
Logo design is an art and there are no strict rules for custom logo design. The success of a logo depends on the creativity and efficiency of the designer. However, a brand logo must meet certain standards. You should follow some basic principles.
- Flexible Enough to Use in a Variety of Media
- In the past, a logo was just used in print media such as Displays and Newspaper Ads. Now companies use logos in many more types of media. Including websites, videos and television as well. Make sure that your logo looks equally appealing in all media platforms. An ideal example of a flexible logo is the “Star Plus” logo. Whether you see it on television, web or newspaper, it always looks stunning.
- Easy to Memorize
- To design a memorable logo, focus on two factors- color and shape. Every color has a meaning. Make sure that you choose the colors that match with your corporate identity. For example, if you a ‘green’ company. You can use green in your logo design to reflect your “nature-friendly” image.
The shape of your logo should be simple and unique. You can use both text and symbols in your logo design. You need to make sure that they complement each other and create a cohesive design. For instance, “Dolby Digital” logo contains both text and a symbol. Yet, the shape of the Dolby Digital logo is so unique that once you see it, it’s hard to forget it.
- Why Who and What?
- When designing a logo ask yourself, Why I need this logo? Who is the target audience? What is the purpose of my logo? Without getting a clear idea about the three questions your logo will not be good.
Your brand logo should match with your business and your target audience’s taste. For instance, if you are in your software industry and design a Disney style logo, it will confuse your target clients.
- Your Logo Should Be Timeless
- A truly great brand logo stands the test of time. A great logo will carry your corporate legacy for decades. There are no particular tips to design a timeless logo. As a designer, you should always try to design a classic logo for your company. Take a look at the Coca-Cola or ABC logo and you will realize what I mean.
- Your Logo Should Look Good in Monotone and Color Formats
- Design a simple logo so that it can keep its visual appeal in black and white format. At first, you should design the logo in black and white and then add colors to it. This way you can be certain about your logo’s aesthetic appeal.
- Your Logo Should be Original
- A brand logo must tell the viewers why that company is better than others. It should:
Project the power of your brand, encourage people to choose your product. For instance, if you see “Harmony Veterinary Clinic” logo, you will immediately understand the USP of their business.
- Your Logo Should Be Simple
- Most importantly, your logo design should be simple enough that people from different age groups can understand its meaning. For instance, the WWF logo is simple, appealing and meaningful. Whether a 10-year-old kid sees it or a 50-year-old animal activist, both of them can relate to it.
Finally, your Logo needs to:
- Project Your Brand’s Theme
- Connect with Viewers
- Catch the Eye
Logo Design is important for the long-term health of your company. A good Logo will Project your brand, connect with viewers, and catch teh eye. Check out some Logo Reveal by Talking Heads